All of the ladies that work at Kitchen to Table enjoy cooking and we often bring in something to share for lunch or morning tea. Now that the days are beginning to cool down a bowl of soup is ideal for lunch. Bec bought a pot of this chicken, lentil and vegetable soup in recently and it is everything you want in a soup … it is tasty, healthy and satisfying. Thanks Bec for sharing your recipe. We hope you enjoy it too.
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 large carrot, diced
2 sticks celery, diced
salt and pepper
1 zucchini, grated
1 sweet potato, grated
1 cup red lentils, rinsed
1 chicken breast (1 large or 2 small)
1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
1 litre water
1 cup spinach, shredded
2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- Heat a stock pot or large saucepan over medium heat and add the olive oil, just enough to coast the vegetables. When warm add the onion, carrot and celery and season liberally with salt and pepper. Sauté for about 5 to 10 minutes or until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the zucchini, sweet potato, red lentils, chicken breast, stock and water. Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the lentils are soft and the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pot and when cool enough to handle shred the meat.
- Add the spinach to the pot and cook for a minute until wilted. Return the shredded chicken to the pot.
- Taste the soup and adjust seasoning as required. Add the chopped parsley.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve with hot buttered toast.