Our lovely Bec baked a delicious date slice for morning tea this week and we thought we’d share it with you here. It’s quick and easy to put together and is a perfect treat for morning tea. Happy Baking 💚
3/4 cup (125g) brown sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
200g pitted dates, chopped
finely grates zest of 1 orange, optional
1 scant cup (125g) self-raising flour*
1 tsp Herbies ‘Fragrant Sweet Spices’ (optional; available at Kitchen to Table)
2 tbsp raw sugar (optional) to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease & line a 20cm square shallow cake pan, or a 24 x 18cm slice pan.
- Melt butter and brown sugar together. Cool slightly then add egg and mix well.
- Add dates and orange zest and mix in, then add flour and spice (if using) and mix until just combined. If the mixture is a little stiff add a dash of orange juice or milk.
- Pour into prepared pan, sprinkle with raw sugar (if using).
- Bake for 20-25 mins until golden and firm to the touch.
- Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool before slicing.
* If you don’t have self-raising flour on hand you can make your own by adding 2 teaspoons of baking powder to 1 cup of flour and sifting them together.