A simple salad with a middle eastern touch. This salad is delicious in its own right or would be a perfect match to slow cooked lamb, chargrilled steak or roast chicken.
2 large or 4 small beetroot, scrubbed
150g marinated goats cheese, drained from its oil (reserve the oil for cooking or use in the dressing)
150g rocket leaves
1/4 cup almonds, coarsely chopped
1-2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt flakes
3 tbsp olive oil (or the oil drained from the marinated goats cheese)
1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
1 tsp honey
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin
salt & pepper
1/4 cup fresh herbs, chopped (eg parsley, coriander, mint or a mix of all three)
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Wrap each beetroot in a piece of foil, then place on a baking tray. Roast for 45 mins to 1 hour or until beetroot is tender. Allow to cool slightly, then rub off the skin. Cut each beetroot into wedges.
- Meanwhile, add the almonds and oil to small frypan and gently toast until the almonds are golden and crunchy. Add the salt and toss to combine.
- Prepare the dressing by combining all ingredients in a bowl, whisk to combine. Taste and adjust to suit your palate.
- Place the rocket leaves and beetroot wedges in a large bowl and add just enough of the dressing to coat everything nicely.Transfer to a serving platter.
- Finish the salad with small chunks of the marinated goats cheese and a scattering of toasted almonds and an extra drizzle of dressing if required.