This is a simple and delicious dinner, I most often make it with pork or chicken. The recipe serves 4 but you can easily multiply the recipe out to serve more, you may need to cook the meat in batches or use 2 pans. Serve with steamed greens and potatoes, either steamed or roasted. I hope you enjoy it too!
4 x 150g pieces of pork fillet (or chicken thighs or breasts)
salt & pepper for seasoning
2 tsp ‘pasta sprinkle’, optional (available at Kitchen to Table)
OR 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh herbs (sage and/0r rosemary and /or parsley)
4 slices prosciutto
1 to 2 tbsp olive oil
12 sage leaves
1 tbsp capers, rinsed & drained
1/4 cup verjuice or white wine
1/3 cup chicken stock
- Place the meat on a board and use a meat mallet to flatten out the meat to a thickness of around 1 to 1.5 cm.
- Season the meat with salt and pepper, then evenly distribute the pasta sprinkle, if using, or finely chopped herbs over the pieces of meat.
- Cut the prosciutto to fit the piece of meat, then secure it with a toothpick.
- Place a large frypan over medium-high heat and add the oil. When hot add the sage leaves and capers and allow them to sizzle and infuse the oil for a minute or so. Next add the meat to the pan, prosciutto side down and cook for a few minutes or until the prosciutto is golden and the meat is cooked halfway through. Turn the meat over and cook on the other side for a couple of minutes or until nearly cooked through.
- Add the verjuice or white wine to the pan and simmer to evaporate the alcohol, then add the chicken stock and simmer for a couple of minutes. When the meat is cooked remove it from the pan and transfer it to a warm serving plate. Add the butter to the pan and simmer for a minute or so. Taste the sauce and adjust to suit your palette. Pour the sauce over the meat.
- Serve with steamed greens and potatoes (either steamed or roasted).