These soft tacos are a flavour bomb! The combination of textures and flavours will make your tastebuds sing. Try to source the soft corn tortillas by Dona Cholita Tortilleria, produced locally at Burringbar on the far North Coast, to bring an authentic flavour to your taco.
However, this dish also works brilliantly without the tortillas, simply spoon the chilli into a bowl, add a side of slaw and sprinkle with the toasted macadamias … delicious!
Here I have used turkey mince as it is a rich source of protein and nutrients, but feel free to substitute chicken or beef mince if you prefer.
500g turkey (or chicken) mince
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
3 tsp Herbies ‘Mexican’ spice mix
1 chipotle chilli in adobo sauce, finely chopped (available at Causley Fresh Deli in Yamba)
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 can black beans
1/4 white cabbage, finely shredded }
1/4 red cabbage, finely shredded } we use a Benriner mandoline for these jobs
1 carrot, julienned. }
1 handful coriander leaves
1 red chilli, finely sliced
1/2 cup good quality, whole egg mayonnaise
2 tbsp fresh lime juice + zest of 1 lime
Salt and pepper, to taste
8 warm tortillas (Dona Cholita corn tortillas available at Good Days in Yamba)
100g toasted macadamias, finely chopped
- Sauté the onion and garlic in the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Season with some salt in pepper. Add the turkey mince and cook through.
- Add the spice mix and cook for a minute or so until fragrant. Add in the chipotle, tomatoes and maple syrup and stir to combine. Simmer for 25–30 minutes or until thickened. Taste and adjust seasoning as required. Add the black beans and cook for a further 5 minutes to heat through.
- Prepare the cabbage slaw by combining the shredded cabbages, carrot, coriander and chilli in a bowl.
- To make the dressing whisk together the mayonnaise, lime juice and zest, and season with salt and pepper. The dressing should be pouring consistency. If too thick, thin with a little warm water. Toss the cabbage slaw with just enough of the dressing to coat everything evenly.
- To serve, take a warm tortilla and place it on a serving plate. Add a layer a slaw, followed by a spoonful or two of spiced turkey mix, then another light layer of slaw. Finish with a sprinkle of toasted macadamias (finely chopped) for flavour and texture along with a wedge of lime. Alternatively, place a bowl of chilli in the centre of the table along with a bowl of slaw, a stack of warm tortillas, and the macadamias and lime wedges. This way your guests can build their taco just the way they like it.