This quick and easy orange cake is perfect for morning or afternoon tea. It is a trusted recipe from the CWA and is soft and moist and well flavoured from the whole orange. Yes, you use the whole, raw orange … skin, flesh and all!
You will need a food processor (or a blender for this recipe).
1 whole orange, quartered
1 1/2 cups castor sugar
1 1/4 cups oil (use delicately flavoured olive oil or macadamia oil)
2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
- Preheat oven to 180C (170C fan-forced); grease and line a loaf tin (approx 20cm x 10cm) or try a 20cm round cake pan.
- Place the orange, sugar, eggs and oil in a food processor (or blender) and blend well. Add the flour and pulse until just combined. (If using a blender pour the orange mixture into a bowl and add the flour and mix until just combined).
- Pour batter into the loaf pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until golden and cooked through. To check, insert a fine skewer into the centre of the cake, if it comes out clean it’s ready. If not, return to the oven for a further 5 minutes or until cooked through.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Dust with icing sugar before serving. It would be lovely with a dollop of whipped cream or yoghurt.
Source: CWA Country Classics cookbook p. 426.