Paella is a great dish for entertaining as it looks amazing and feeds a crowd. Herbie’s ‘paella spice’ provides you with a blend of all the typical spices and seasonings you need to create this classic Spanish dish. It is also a relatively quick and easy dish to make.
4 tsp Herbies paella spice
2 litres chicken stock
1/3 cup olive oil, approximately
6 chicken thigh fillets
2 chorizo, finely chopped
4-6 cloves garlic, crushed
6 anchovy fillets
2 red capsicum, sliced
3 cups short-grain rice (Spanish Calasparra rice if available)
4 tomatoes, peeled & chopped, OR 1 can chopped tomatoes
2 cups frozen peas
12 green prawns, heads & shells removed, tail left on
1 small bunch parsley, roughly chopped
1 lemon, cut in wedges, to serve
- Heat chicken stock and add Paella spice. Set aside to allow the saffron to steep into the warm stock.
- Heat some of the oil in the pan and add the chicken and brown on both sides. Remove chicken from pan, cut into bite-size chunks and set aside.
- Heat a little more oil in the pan and add the chorizo, garlic, anchovies and capsicum. Fry for a few minutes until anchovies have dissolved and capsicum has softened. Return the chicken pieces to the pan and add the rice and stir to coat the grains in the oil.
- Add the stock and tomatoes. Cover loosely with foil or a lid and cook for 20 minutes. Remove foil/lid and add the prawns and peas, laying them on top of the rice. Cover loosely again and cook for another 5-6 minutes or until seafood is cooked and rice is tender. Turn the heat up under the pan for the last minute or two of cooking to develop the sought-after crust.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley and add some wedges of lemon and serve with a green salad.