Paella is a great dish for entertaining as it looks amazing and feeds a crowd. Herbie’s ‘paella spice’ provides you with a blend of all the typical spices and seasonings you need to create this classic Spanish dish. It is also a relatively quick and easy dish to make. The best tip with Paella spices is to use Herbies paella spice, far less expensive than getting all the spices and herbs you need and completely reliable for good flavour.
- 4 tsp Herbies paella spice
- 2 L chicken stock
- ⅓ cup olive oil approximately
- 6 chicken thigh fillets
- 2 chorizo finely chopped
- 4-6 cloves garlic crushed
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 2 red capsicum sliced
- 3 cups short-grain rice Spanish Calasparra rice if available
- 4 tomatoes peeled & chopped, OR 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 12 green prawns heads & shells removed, tail left on
- 1 small bunch parsley roughly chopped
- 1 lemon cut in wedges, to serve
- Heat chicken stock and add Paella spice. Set aside to allow the saffron to steep into the warm stock.
- Heat some of the oil in the pan and add the chicken and brown on both sides. Remove chicken from pan, cut into bite-size chunks and set aside.
- Heat a little more oil in the pan and add the chorizo, garlic, anchovies and capsicum. Fry for a few minutes until anchovies have dissolved and capsicum has softened. Return the chicken pieces to the pan, add the rice and stir to coat the grains in the oil.
- Add the stock and tomatoes. Cover loosely with foil or a lid and cook for 20 minutes. Remove foil/lid and add the prawns and peas, laying them on top of the rice. Cover loosely again and cook for another 5-6 minutes or until seafood is cooked and rice is tender. Turn the heat up under the pan for the last minute or two of cooking to develop the sought-after crust.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley and add some wedges of lemon and serve with a green salad.