After a little bit of prep to flavour the lamb with garlic, rosemary, anchovy and lemon, the oven will do the rest of the work, allowing you to spend the afternoon doing what you please. Enjoy your weekend 💚
You will need (to serve 4), double the recipe to feed more or to have leftovers:
1 lamb shoulder, bone in
2 cloves garlic, peeled & thickly sliced
1 lemon, zest and juice
1 sprig rosemary, leaves stripped from stalk
3 anchovy fillets, chopped into thirds
4 potatoes, we use Dutch cream
Salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 200C
- Wash and chop potatoes, toss in the roasting pan and coat generously with some olive oil and season with salt & pepper.
- Make some incisions in the lamb and stuff each incision with some garlic/rosemary/anchovy.
- Sprinkle the lamb with lemon zest, salt and pepper and massage into the lamb. Squeeze the juice of the lemon over the lamb and add the squeezed lemon halves to the pan too (these will make the potatoes deliciously lemony 🍋).
- Place in the oven and cook for 20 mins, then add 1 cup water and cover the pan tightly with foil. Reduce oven temperature to 140C and cook for 3.5 hours or until the meat falls off the bone. Check every so often that the pan still has liquid in it (top up with more water as required).
- Remove lamb from oven and allow to rest for 20 mins or so before transferring to a serving platter.
- Serve with some crunchy bread and a crisp green salad.